Dog Health

Dog Ate A Mouse – UPDATED 2021 – What To Do Now?

Our furry friends are famously known for their enthusiastic and exploring nature. Dogs tend to explore their surroundings with the help of their mouths. Thus, it is common to come across troubled dog owners sick of their dogs feeding on the weirdest of things in the name of curiosity.

While dogs often eat or bite on leather, clothing, cotton balls, foil, nylabones, etc. They also tend to get their hands onto mice running around in one’s backyard or house. If your dog has eaten a mouse, you must not take it lightly.

This article focuses on the various signs and reasons your dog has eaten a mouse, along with what you should do as dog owners to protect your fur-balls!

Dog Ate A Mouse?

Mice are nothing but meat to dogs. However, if your dog feeds on it, it can prove to be problematic. Some mice are insidious and can cause significant harm to your dogs. Some of the signs that your dog might start showing after biting or eating a poisonous mouse are as follows:

  • Vomiting
  • Coughing
  • Weakness
  • Blood in urine
  • Bruises on the body
  • Diarrhea
  • Bleeding gums
  • Paralysis
  • Swollen joints
  • Breathing problems
  • Trembles
  • Seizures

What Should You Do If Your Dog Has Eaten A Rat?

As responsible dog owners, you need to bring your dog to the vet or a pet health care center if he or she has eaten or bitten a mouse. Mice can be poisonous or have rabies.

Such mice are likely to leave a very negative effect on your dog’s body that shall require immediate care and attention.

If you can spot the rodent that your dog has happened to eat, pick it up with the help of gloves or a plastic bag and take it to your vet for an examination. In such circumstances, the vet is likely to run rabies tests on the mouse and then your dog.

Refrain from using home remedies, as they may worsen your dog’s condition.  Any misstep can make it even more difficult to remedy the situation.

However, if you have a pup that has eaten a mouse, things can be a tad serious. The main issue when the puppy eats a mouse is the size of the canine. A big-sized mouse in a puppy’s stomach is not the most ideal situation.

Where Is the Source Of Poisonous Rats?

Poisonous rats usually come from the wild or unclean places such as the drainage systems. In other cases, rats may have been poisoned by accidentally feeding on rat poisons. Some of the rat poisons include:

Phosphides

Rat poisons based on aluminum and zinc phosphates are hazardous for your dogs. Once taken in, these phosphides begin to release gases in your dog’s stomach.  These gases are bound to increase more with food.

Thus, it’s best not to feed your dog post-ingestion of this poison. Some of the common after-effects include vomiting, lung infections, and shock.

Bromethalin

This rat poison can cause cerebral edema, making it one of the most dangerous and harmful toxins for consumption. It directly affects the brain due to the lack of oxygen transferred to it.

In such situations, your dog will have to stay in the clinic for several days till the treatment is complete. If not treated on time, it can lead to fatalities.

What Will Be the Dog’s Condition after Eating Mouse?

A rat-bite can prove fatal for your dog due to the various poisons present in the rodent’s body. The canine can catch a rat-bite fever from the carcass of a dead rat or even a small scratch. In such cases, in addition to the consequences as mentioned above, your dog can also:

  • Get fleas
  • Get infected by rabies
  • Face lethargy

It’s best to get your dog’s rabies shots and annual boosters from time to time to avoid such situations. This vaccine helps in maintaining their health and strengthening their immune systems.

How To Stop Your Dogs From Eating A Mouse?

As mentioned earlier, dogs are curious animals and are often unaware of what they should and should not eat. This habit gets them and their dog owners in trouble. While some items may not be as harmful to your dog’s body, things like mice can affect your dog to great extents.

Unless you have these pesky rodents on your property, it will be easy for you to prevent such situations. Also, try to keep away rodenticides from the reach of your doggo.

Thus, to stop your dogs from eating a mouse, You can apply the following tactics:

  • Training your dog in terms of dropping or leaving the mouse if he manages to catch it
  • Clean your backyard and house properly.
  • Getting regular pest infestations done to avoid such situations
  • Throw out your garbage correctly to avoid having mice anywhere around your house and creating a health hazard for your dog.
  • Use rat poisons or medicines to get rid of mice as soon as possible.
  • If the coming of rats is inevitable on your property, try and keep your dogs away from those locations at all times.
  • Keep an eye on your dogs.
  • Supervise your dog as he goes for his walks or crosses your property. You may never be aware of the rat poisons or presence of rats on your neighbors’ property.

Wrapping Up

In conclusion, we can state that mice’s consumption is not safe for your dogs in any possible case. This problem may get even worse in situations is the mouse was exposed to poisonous items.

Some of the symptoms you may see in your dog include vomiting, diarrhea, bruises on the body, and many more, as mentioned earlier. Thus, to avoid such circumstances, you must remain careful and keep your pup under constant supervision and care.

As loving and responsible dog owners, you must avoid using home remedies of any kind to treat your dog’s situation in such cases and consult the vet. The vet is most likely to run your pup through some tests, including rabies, and provide the necessary treatment and medication.

Hence, through this article, we hope to have answered all your doubts and concerns about dogs eating a mouse.

Related Articles

Back to top button