Table of Contents
Chewing and biting is one way that dogs use to explore the world around them. Sometimes, they latch onto things that are not meant to be nibbled on – much less swallowed! In today’s article, we discuss the potential dangers of aluminum foil and what you can do if you suspect that your dog had just had a shiny snack.
Is Tin Foil The Same As Aluminum Foil?
Frequently, there seems to be confusion between tin and aluminum foil. However, it’s essential to understand that there is no difference between the two. As aluminum is most likely to be available in the market rather than tin, your household foil is most likely to be aluminum.
However, both are relatively identical and can cause the same symptoms in dogs when consumed.
Symptoms of Aluminum Foil Consumption
Some of the signs that you may see in your pooch post eating aluminum foil include the following:
- Coughing or hacking
- Stomach aches
- Abdominal pains
- Signs of discomfort
- Appetite loss
- Difficulty in passing stool
If your dog shows any of these signs, it’s best to contact the vet as soon as possible for proper advice and information.
Adopting home remedies such as making your dog vomit out the foil isn’t recommended unless suggested by the doctor. It can worsen your dog’s condition and create further difficulties that may be harder to cure.
Consequences of Eating Aluminum Foil
Aluminum foil is a severe choking hazard for your puppy. It can ball up during the act of swallowing and it may even get stuck in the dog’s throat, causing constant irritation, breathing, and choking issues. This situation may even lead to severe throat infections or death.
As mentioned earlier, aluminum foil tends to bunch into a ball after the dog swallows it. These aluminum balls are hard to digest and will sit intact in your dog’s intestinal tract for a long time. It can create an intestinal blockage that might prove fatal and it usually requires urgent surgery to remove the blockage.
Potential Toxicity Issues
Most vets guarantee that toxin release issues shouldn’t be a problem in cases where your dog has ingested tin foil. However, one must still not rule it out completely. The good news is that a toxic situation is only likely if your dog eats an enormous amount of foil.
What Should You Do To Help Your Dog?
If you are sure that your dog ate a roll of aluminum foil, be quick to take it to the vet for immediate advice and treatment. However, before you go, you need to know the quantity of foil consumed by your dog.
The vet is most likely to give an injection to your dog and make him/her vomit the tin foil out. Once this procedure is successful, the puppy can go back home instantly.
In other cases, where a dog begins to show signs of foil consumption but you are unsure whether it is true or not, the vet is most likely to recommend x-rays. X-rays can help to get a clear image of any foil drifting around in your dog’s gut.
During the next few days, keep a close eye on your pet. The moment you notice any unusual behavior or lethargy, don’t hesitate to revisit the vet.
If your dog has consumed a certain amount of aluminum foil that the vet isn’t concerned about, listed below are a few steps you must take at home as responsible dog owners to prevent any further problems or complications:
- Keep an eye on your dog for the next few days.
- Take note of your dog’s diet.
- If your dog feels nauseous, contact the vet immediately.
- Contact the vet if your dog doesn’t release aluminum foil in his/her stool in the next few days.
- Store the tin foil in a place that is not reachable by the canine.
- Use dog-proof trash cans to prevent your dog from feeding on tin foil again.
Wrapping Things Up
The habit of chewing and biting on interesting things often lands dogs in hot water. If your dog has accidentally consumed tin foil along with the tasty treat wrapped within, be sure to contact the vet instead of practicing home remedies.
Consumption of foil isn’t normally toxic. However, foil can cause deadly blockages in the digestive tract. In a severe situation, your pet might need immediate surgery.
On the whole, we hope that this article has cleared up all your doubts and concerns about dogs eating aluminum foil and how to deal with the situation if and when it arises.