Dog Ate Insulation
Dog Health

My Dog Ate Insulation – UPDATED 2021 – What To Do Now?

Insulation keeps the home cool in summers and warm in winters. But this does not mean that it is fit for consumption by your pup. While insulation is generally out of dogs’ reach if your pet is curious or naughty, then eating insulation is possible. Eating insulation may harm the pup’s gastrointestinal system.

Insulation is one item that may make you scratch your head. Why would a dog eat insulation? While we cannot answer that question, we can tell you the dangers of eating insulation and dealing with the issue.  Read on to find out all you need to know about insulation and the risks associated with consuming it.

All You Need To Know About Insulation

Many parts of your home, such as the roof, walls, attic, and ceilings, may be insulated. Insulation materials may include elements like cotton, fiberglass, vermiculite, perlite, and cellulose.

Sometimes, this insulation material is treated with toxic materials to discourage pets and pests from eating them. These toxics can be dangerous for your pups if ingested. These toxic materials are fatal for dogs. Therefore you must treat your dog within 24 hours of indigestion.

According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, materials like fiberglass may perforate the intestines when digested. These materials can get stuck in the digestive tract. This situation may create a medical issue that may require a trip to the vet.

Dangers of Dog Eating Insulation

There are all sorts of complications that may arise in this situation. These include-

  • Suffocation
  • Choking
  • Internal bleeding
  • Internal blockage
  • Toxic poison

Therefore, you must immediately take your doggo to the vet, even if you are not sure if the dog has ingested the insulation.

Treatments and medical procedure

Insulation, because it tends to stick to the digestive tract walls, may cause trouble to the gastrointestinal apparatus. Thus, we highly recommend that you make a quick trip to the vet. Consult the veterinarian and then take an appropriate decision.

Endoscopy

First, the doctor may take an X-ray to locate the foreign object. It would help if you took the sample of the insulation material so that the doctor can make an informed decision accordingly.

Further, the doctor may use an endoscope to look deeply into the body. By using tweezers, the doctor may attempt to remove the unwanted object (insulation, in this case)

Surgical Removal

This method is only applicable where the endoscope cannot reach through. This process is important in severe cases. Surgical removal involves removing the unwanted object and stitching everything back up.

Ordinarily, your pets may not access the insulation in your homes. If they do so out of curiosity or their mischievousness, then it is recommended you read through to know what should be done.

After surgery, the doctor may lookout for any poisoning symptoms. Accordingly, the vet will provide medication to the puppy.

Symptoms to look out for

Sometimes, the symptoms are not very noticeable. In other cases, they are. The common symptoms include lethargy, fever, discomfort, and vomiting. Ingestion of a foreign object may lead to excessive thirst, also known as polydipsia.

Other symptoms like swollen tongue and seizures are a serious concern. If your dog begins to seize or faint, it means dealing with internal bleeding, poison complications, and more. Swelling on the dog’s mouth is a sign that it is dealing with poisoning. Vomiting or coughing up blood also signals internal organ damage and bleeding.

Most of these symptoms indicate the seriousness of the situation. Thus, If any of these symptoms are visible, then you must take your pup to the vet without delay.

 Dog Ate Insulation? Preventions 

No matter how tiny the piece of insulation has been, never, we repeat, never neglect the seriousness of the situation. Eating insulation may lead to life long consequences for the poor doggo. It may lead to organ dysfunctionalities, and in the worst case, death.

It appears terrifying, right? And so it is.

Prevention is better than cure. So, here are some ways to prevent the calamity altogether:

Avoid using insulation in the doghouse.

Insulation in your home is generally out of reach of the pet. However, in a doghouse, the risk of the dog eating insulation multiplies. Therefore, always use a dog -friendly design. Avoid using materials that are unfit for a dog if consumed by accident.

Train your dog

As a pet parent, it is your responsibility that your doggo only eats what is suitable for its body. This thing can only happen if you train your fur baby to listen to you and drop whatever is there in its mouth on your command. Even when the dog falls under the insulation, make sure you still take a trip to the vet because some poisonous coating may have dissolved in its mouth in the meanwhile.

Keep your doggo away from construction and renovation sites.

The insulation material is more easily accessible on a construction site. Therefore, keep your companion away from such places. The construction site is one of the most dangerous spots for humans and pets alike.

Never let your dog roam freely on a construction site. If there is renovation at your home, then cover the insulation materials and keep them out of reach of the dog.

Bottom Line

Insulation is the worst thing your dog can consume, even compared to bacon, chocolate, or toothpaste. Therefore, prevent insulation out of the doggo’s reach. But unfortunately, if the pup finishes the insulation, then you already know what to do. You need to stay calm and consult the vet immediately.

Repeating it for emphasis, never take this situation lightly. Insulation is hazardous for the dog’s body. It may even lead to death. Even if you are not sure of the ingestion, it is also better to get a checkup. Late treatment, in this case, can be fatal.

Now that you know the dangers of digesting insulation, we hope you will be conscious of keeping it out of reach of your fur baby.