Dog Ate Vaseline

Dog Ate Vaseline – UPDATED 2021 – What To Do Now?

Your dog just ate something it shouldn’t have. Vaseline, also known as petroleum jelly, is a common household item that most of us use.

Since it is a petroleum byproduct, you must be wondering if it will damage your dog’s internal organs. While Vaseline as a product is pretty safe, there are certainly some warning signs you should keep in mind.

Don’t fret as we have the perfect solution to help you fight such situations. In this article, we discuss what you need to do if your dog accidentally ate Vaseline.

Dog Ate Vaseline ? Is Vaseline Harmful for Canines?

Due to dogs’ heightened smell sensing ability, they can easily sniff the smell of Vaseline. They may lick it from the container box or your skin. So even if you’re unaware, your dog has probably already consumed Vaseline before.

So safe to say, Vaseline isn’t particularly harmful if ingested in smaller amounts. Vaseline is a brand name of Petroleum jelly, also known as petrolatum. It’s a thick ointment that serves as a lubricant and skin protectant.

If children ingests a small amount of Vaseline, it can cause soft stools. There’s also a risk of choking, but it’s relatively rare.

Dogs have a better and stronger metabolism than children. Thus, they will not get affected by the Petroleum jelly. It isn’t a substance that will cause immediate reactions.

Some vets recommend feeding Vaseline to dogs since it’s a laxative. Thus, it will help push out any hard foreign object from its digestive tract. But it would help if you weren’t replicating this at your end.

Petroleum jelly is an industrial byproduct derived from refining oil. So even if it’s not harmful when ingested, you should keep your dog away from it. Regular exposure may lead to certain complications that would require medical attention.

How Much is Too Much?

There isn’t exactly a set amount that makes Vaseline toxic or dangerous. If your dog consumes the entire jar of few milligrams, then it may develop some complications.

But it also depends on the size and age of the dog. Bigger and younger dogs can inherently tolerate a higher amount of Vaseline than smaller and older dogs.

If in case, the dog has had an intolerable amount of Vaseline, you’ll notice them through their behavior. You can look for specific symptoms of Vaseline overdose.

Symptoms of Vaseline Overdose

Although the word “Vaseline overdose” might not be appropriate because there are no Vaseline dosages, you should comprehend it as something of an excess.

When your dog does take in more amount of petroleum jelly, it will bring a change in his behavior.

The most common symptom is loose stool. You’ll notice that the dog’s loo to be watery. It happens because Vaseline is an oil and laxative. It increases bowel movement and helps the solid waste matter move out with ease.

If the dog consumes excessive Vaseline, then it will experience loose stool. In some cases, this may lead to diarrhea that can affect your dog for a few days.

And the direct consequence of diarrhea is dehydration and lethargy. So you’ll notice your dog just lying on the floor without much movement. It will then reduce the food intake.

In such cases, you should rush to the vet before things get out of hand. Another severe condition to look out for is Aspiration pneumonia. Some dogs can develop this dangerous condition after ingesting Vaseline.

The reason behind this is when ingesting Vaseline, they might inhale it from inside of their intestines. So some amount of the jelly may enter your dog’s lungs that will develop into pneumonia.

Primary signs of it include heavy breathing, discomfort, coughing, fever. In severe cases, you’ll notice blue gums. The lungs will inflate from inside and accumulate a certain amount of fluid.

But these are rare of rarest scenarios. It would be best if you weren’t worrying about them for the most part.

What To Do if Dog Eats Vaseline?

In most cases, you do not have to worry about anything. The effects of Vaseline aren’t going to be strong, neither last long. So your dog should be fine.

But if you see the above symptoms like loose stool and coughing, you might have to talk with your vet. After gauging the situation, he may recommend certain medications that will ease the stomach.

The goal is not to let the dog enter dehydration mode. So you should feed food and water appropriately. But it would help if you didn’t try to induce vomiting. Vaseline is an oily substance and isn’t likely to come out along with the vomit.

Even worse, it may weaken the dog and put him at risk of dehydration. If you think your dog has consumed a large amount of Vaseline, then you should rush to the vet and get him checked.

Preventing Dog from Eating Vaseline

The best way to avoid any complications is to prevent your dog from consuming the Vaseline in the first place. Because of a strong smell sense, your dog may get prompted by the smell of the Vaseline.

So as a precaution, it would be best if you kept it out of the reach of your pet. Store it inside the cupboards or drawers. If you believe your dog is too smart to sniff out the Vaseline boxes, then you can mix the packets with Cayenne pepper.

This smell would put off your dog. Thus, it will drop the box and look for something else. You can apply this trick on other non-edible items too.

To Sum up

Dogs should never eat Vaseline, even if it’s not toxic to them. After all, it’s an industrial product, and it’s better to keep your dogs away from such products.

This fact is especially true if you have elderly dogs. Their digestive track might not be a condition to tolerate dehydration and stomach upset. Thus, they’ll face more problems than younger dogs.

With that said, you should always look for symptoms and take necessary measures instead of just freaking out.